It’s a tragedy! A 12-year-old boy’s life cut short playing “The Choking Game.”

Gian-Luc Jordan, 12 years old, a 7th grader at Mountain Ridge Middle School, died this past week due to playing “The Choking Game” at his home.  Gian-Luc was an Honor Roll Student, on the Colorado Springs Swim Team (accomplished state swimmer), an outstanding defender on the Pride Predator ‘99 soccer team (top soccer team in his age group), a friend, a brother, and a son.  He was a gifted athlete and an outstanding student who was very well liked by his teammates and classmates.

According to Todd McLain, former coach and friend of Gian-Luc Jordan, “I've taught and coached a lot of kids. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever met a more sweet and kind young person. Yet, put Gian-Luc on a soccer field, and he was one of the most relentless and fierce competitors I ever seen.”

As a parent, you may be wondering, “why?, how?,  who? what are the signs?”  

According to the DB Foundation, many of these young kids are active in athletics and school, intelligent and all around good stable kids. Many of the kids are vibrant, loving and social kids that are well cared for and loved.  Many are playing this game and thinking that it is not harmful because it is not drugs or alcohol.

The “choking game”, “space monkey”, “5 minutes of heaven” and the “twitching game” are just a few names that many are using to describe a new way of getting high. This game is being played in schools, parks, parties and homes at an alarming rate. Many kids view this game as a way to get high safely and an alternative to taking drugs. However, many kids are hurting their bodies and in some cases dying, all to achieve a high. It is important as a community, parent, teacher or friend to understand what this game is and how to prevent our loved ones from becoming a statistic.

The “choking game” is used to achieve a high by asphyxiation, either by another person or alone. According to the DB Foundation, “this high is resulting in a lack of oxygen to the brain while unconscious and once woken up the oxygen and blood rush to the brain, creating a tingling high.” There are many different methods used in to cut off the oxygen to the brain to become unconscious. There are group and individual methods used among those trying to get high. The DB Foundation has listed the “bear hug, palms to the chest, choke hold, hyperventilation and palms to carotid neck compression as methods used in a group.” Individual methods include “hyperventilation with thumb blow, thumb blow and ligature by belts, sheets and shirts (DB Foundation).” 

Although many play this game in groups, some try to get high alone. Those who are attempting this game alone do not have someone to remove the object being used to cause asphyxiation and wake them up from unconscious. If not helped within three minutes, “basic functions such as memory, balance, and the central nervous system start to fail, usually resulting in death (DB Foundation).” Not only can death occur, but other harmful effects take place on their body: seizures, brain damage, bruising, broken bones and concussions from falling and stroke according to the DB Foundation.

According to the CDC, as of May 2011, there were a reported 486 incidences in the U.S. involving this game, 411 fatalities and 51 injuries. The CDC “estimated that there are 800-1000 kids between the ages of 10-19 die every year.” A survey conducted by the DB Foundation “found that middle school aged boys and girls are most likely to play, but boys are more likely to participate in the choking game alone.” The DB Foundation “revealed that males between the ages of 9-16 have a higher rate of fatalities than females when playing the game.”

These statistics reveal a deadly and harmful game that much of our youth are partaking in. It is important that parents know and are aware of the warning signs. In order to stop this game we need to watch for the signs of “blood shot eyes, changes in attitude, disorientation and wanting to be alone, ligatures with knots, looking up the choking game online and wear marks on furniture from tying ligatures on (DB Foundation).”

Petra Jordan, mother of Gian-Luc Jordan, pleads, “We need to stop kids from playing the choking game and join the fight against it. We can stop the game by raising awareness.  I’d never heard of this before.  If the parents, community and kids are not informed about the dangers of this game, more will play and more deaths will occur. Please join the fight against the choking game and save a life.”

For more information, here are two recommended resources: http://gaspinfo.com/en/home.html and http://chokingame.net

The Memorial Service to celebrate Gian-Luc Jordan’s life will be Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 6 p.m. at the Main Auditorium on the New Life Campus.  For more information on this tragedy and how you can assist this family, please visit: www.caringbridge.org/visit/gianlucjordan

Views: 8998

Attachments:

Replies to This Story

This story breaks my heart, Teddi ... so sad for the family, his friends, classmates, and church family, but especially for the gifted young man who lost his life. Hopefully your post will be a cautionary tale for others who might be indulging in these activites and perhaps save another young person's life. Appreciate you sharing this story, but sorry for the reason.
Thank you Bob!  I appreciate your sentiments.  Awareness is the first step to not repeating this tragedy!  Thank you to Fresh Ink for providing such a forum.

Teddi I want to thank you for writing this article and I also want to thank Gian-Luc's mother, Petra Jordan for allowing this information to come out.  It's horrible that it had to happen to such a great young man, but I hope that others can learn from this event.  The entire family of Gian-Luc's will be in my family's thoughts.  As many feel this way, we wish there was something we could do to help.

My Step-daughter was a classmate of Gian-Luc's and was crushed to hear about his passing.  As we found out more about the cause of his death and worked our way through the inaccurate rumors we were hearing we found out that "The Chocking Game" was the cause.  With such a large increase over the past few years with teenagers dying from this "Game" I hope the schools can find some way to increase awareness that this is in no way a safe alternative to drugs or alcohol.

Thank you Teddi and Petra for putting this information out there for people to consume and learn from. 

I am very sorry for the friends and family of this beautiful boy,I lost my 16 year old daughter to this Deadly "game" 3 years ago,she was a Widefield High School student. I want the family to know I am here for them. In dealing with my pain I do presentations at area schools and businesses to educate parents and the community on this dangerous behavior. Unfortunately alot of schools have declined my offers to help. I am so sorry I didnt get my message to you.

Thank you for sharing your heart breaking, tragic story.

Thank you for your kind words Brock!  They are much appreciated!!!  

The Jordan family is determined to generate awareness for "The Choking Game."  I too admire their courage and selflessness!

Please encourage your step-daughter to write a letter, draw a picture or bring something that reminds her of Gian-Luc to the Memorial Service.  All items will be included in a scrapbook or memory box for the family.  I know this will mean so much to Henry, Petra and the kids!!!  Please visit www.caringbridge.org/visit/gianlucjordan for information on how you can assist this family during this horrible time!  

Brock A Wortman said:

Teddi I want to thank you for writing this article and I also want to thank Gian-Luc's mother, Petra Jordan for allowing this information to come out.  It's horrible that it had to happen to such a great young man, but I hope that others can learn from this event.  The entire family of Gian-Luc's will be in my family's thoughts.  As many feel this way, we wish there was something we could do to help.

My Step-daughter was a classmate of Gian-Luc's and was crushed to hear about his passing.  As we found out more about the cause of his death and worked our way through the inaccurate rumors we were hearing we found out that "The Chocking Game" was the cause.  With such a large increase over the past few years with teenagers dying from this "Game" I hope the schools can find some way to increase awareness that this is in no way a safe alternative to drugs or alcohol.

Thank you Teddi and Petra for putting this information out there for people to consume and learn from. 

Michell, I will pass this on to them.  Thank you.

Michell Rivera said:

I am very sorry for the friends and family of this beautiful boy,I lost my 16 year old daughter to this Deadly "game" 3 years ago,she was a Widefield High School student. I want the family to know I am here for them. In dealing with my pain I do presentations at area schools and businesses to educate parents and the community on this dangerous behavior. Unfortunately alot of schools have declined my offers to help. I am so sorry I didnt get my message to you.

So sorry for your loss three years ago, Michell. I talked to a friend last night and was shocked to learn his 17-year-old son and his friends, who are all upstanding kids and good students, also play this dangerous game. And my friend's son wasn't taking it seriously that this could be dangerous. I want to thank all of you for discussing this tragedy and maybe saving another child's life.

Michell Rivera said:

Bob Stephens said:

So sorry for your loss three years ago, Michell. I talked to a friend last night and was shocked to learn his 17-year-old son and his friends, who are all upstanding kids and good students, also play this dangerous game. And my friend's son wasn't taking it seriously that this could be dangerous. I want to thank all of you for discussing this tragedy and maybe saving another child's life.

Michell Rivera said:

I had heard of this in regard to adults and heightening a sexual experience (as if that isn't enough of a high), but I had never heard of kids "playing" this "game".  Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention.  I agree that education and heightening awareness are the best ways to stop this insanity.  And, as in this instance, it is often the best of the best kids who get involved in these activities.  As a parent, I understand that our kids can be doing stuff we know nothing about, no matter how close a bond we have with them or how involved we are in their lives.  Sad, sad, sad.  I send my sincerest sympathy and prayers to the family and friends of this young man.

Shame on all of those schools who were not interesting in having you educate and inform on this topic...maybe they will be more open to spreading the word and preventing more senseless tragedies.  I am so sorry for your loss and I thank you for the courage it takes to talk about it to help others.

Pati Micciulla said:

Bob Stephens said:

Michell Rivera said:

RSS

Members

Weekly Contest

Photos

• Add Photos

Fresh•Ink photo galleries

© 2014   Created by Colorado Springs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service